Discover Compassionate Treatment for Abnormal Periods at Florida's All About Women
Gainesville-based physicians provide women of north Florida the most technologically advanced, comprehensive gynecological care for abnormal periods
A woman's biochemistry follows her own unique monthly rhythm, known as the menstrual cycle. No woman's menstrual cycle is exactly like another's. The word menstruation comes from the Latin word menses, which means month. One period each month, consistently, is a sign that your body is producing ideal hormone levels optimal for human reproduction.
When your periods are abnormal or painful, it is normal to have health concerns and questions. Physicians at All About Women Obstetrics & Gynecology (AAW) in Gainesville and Lake City are board-certified in gynecology, and can help you discover the cause for abnormal periods and provide treatment.
All About Women doctors work hard to discover the underlying cause of abnormal periods to offer you the best treatment
What is an abnormal period?
A woman's menstrual cycle occurs every 28 days, but is considered normal in a range from 21 to 35 days. A typical menstrual period will last four to seven days.
You should see a doctor for the following menstrual problems:
- Menstrual flow that is significantly heavier or lighter than usual
- Missing three or more periods consecutively
- Periods that happen less than 21 days or more than 35 days apart
- Periods that continue longer than seven days
- Irregular cycles, sometimes with heavy bleeding or skipped periods
- Periods that include pain, severe cramps, nausea, or vomiting
- Bleeding or spotting between periods, following sex, or after menopause
- Periods that have stopped completely without known cause
Compassionate, comprehensive abnormal period treatment is available in Gainesville and Lake City
What causes abnormal periods?
Doctors at AAW will start with your medical history, conduct an examination, and administer tests to investigate possible causes for your abnormal periods.
Inconsistent periods and abnormal uterine bleeding can be caused by a variety of menstrual irregularities, including:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Uterine fibroids
What is the treatment for abnormal periods?
Treatments for abnormal periods depend on the underlying cause, and may include:
- Regulation of the menstrual cycle with hormones, such as estrogen or progestin
- Pain control using over-the-counter relievers or prescription medicine
- Uterine fibroids can be treated medically and/or surgically
- Endometriosis is most often treated with pain relievers, hormones, and in severe cases, surgery
- Endometrial ablation is an office procedure that can reduce or eliminate menstrual bleeding
Investigating the cause of abnormal periods is crucial to your health and peace of mind. To learn more about the menstrual cycle and women's health, please visit our women's health blog and knowledge center.
Our team of physicians and nurses at Gainesville's All About Women Obstetrics & Gynecology possess experience in today's most advanced women's health care techniques. We provide patients in Gainesville, Lake City and surrounding communities with counseling, diagnosis and an individualized treatment plan.
If you are having abnormal periods, the first thing to do is to not panic. Abnormal periods are more common than you think, and in most cases, easily treatable. To address the underlying causes of abnormal periods, schedule an appointment with physicians at All About Women in Gainesville or Lake City today.
Personalized and compassionate preventitive care is just a click or phone call away. Our experienced team of doctors, midwives and staff are here to address the health needs of all women in Gainesville, Lake City and surrounding communities in North Florida.
Call to request an
8:30 am - 8:00 pm
Tuesday - Friday
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Closed 12:00 - 1:00
Monday - Friday
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Closed 12:00 - 1:00